Salted Caramel-Ginger Macaroons
Print this page
Executive Chef Jason McClure
Makes about 30 cookies
- 1 ½ cups finely ground almonds
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 3 egg whites
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Salt, a dash
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 drops yellow food coloring
- 7 oz. packaged caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tbsp. whipping cream
- Coarse sea salt
- In a medium bowl stir together almonds, powdered sugar and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine egg whites, vanilla and salt. Beat until frothy. Gradually add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form. Stir in nut mixture and food coloring.
- Place mixture in a piping bag and pipe 1 ½-inch circles onto a nonstick cookie sheet. Let stand 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 9-10 minutes until just set. Cool on cookie sheets and carefully remove from sheet pan.
- In a small saucepan combine caramels and cream, and stir over low heat until melted and smooth.
- Spread caramel mixture on half of the cookies. Sprinkle each with coarse salt. Top with the remaining cookies, bottom side down.